Sunday, August 10, 2008

Friends in high places

By Bob

The No. 12 pulled away from the Burlingame Freddies on its way downtown. The occupants of the half-full bus seemed carefree on a summery Saturday afternoon. Lots of talk and laughter.

At the next stop, a twentysomething man climbed aboard. He was wearing a T-shirt and cargo shorts, with a plastic mug attached to his belt. He didn't bother taking a seat, though many were available. He grabbed a pole and stood near the front.

"Which stop do I take to get to the beer festival?" he asked the driver while tapping his mug. "I was there last night, but I got so hammered I can't remember which way I was headed when I left."

"I'm not sure," the driver replied. "I'd imagine Taylor would get you pretty close to the waterfront."

Another passenger, one from a group of four twentysomething women, chimed in: "No. It's better to get off at Oak. The walk is shorter."

"Great," the beer man said. "A buddy of mine works at the place where they package the tokens. He jacked a box. So we're drinking for free today."

The young woman who had offered directions now said: "You can just follow us. We're going to the festival, too."

One of her companions had the final word: "No. We'll follow you. You've got the hookup on the tokens."

No comments: