Thursday, August 7, 2008

All-Zone defense

by Mary

I hate people. For many reasons, on many levels. When I ride TriMet, I do not want to engage with my fellow passengers. I don't care where you're going, what you're doing, how hot you think it is that the bus driver's a transsexual. Just Leave. Me. Alone.

So when I travel I either read or knit, and I use this as an excuse not to make eye contact. It works, mostly. But lately I think it's time to tweak my strategy. I'm thinking of crafting an all-purpose book cover to slip over whatever I'm reading at the moment. The title of this spiffy faux book jacket? "Controlling Your Violent Impulses." If any chatty soul asks what I'm reading, I can show 'em that, then add menacingly, "My parole officer recommended it."

1 comment:

M.T. Hand said...

Years ago, a friend gave me a faux book cover entitled "Learning to Live With a Large Penis." Never had the nerve to take it out in public. Probably would have had the same effect as your violence cover.